Monday, June 1, 2009

The Blue-Footed Booby- A Shower Conversation

Ok, before you read, let me just begin by saying, yes, my partner and I were in the shower while having this conversation. The truth is that ALOT of our best conversations happen under our magnificent "rain-like" shower head. Nothing sexual or crazy. Ever. Just wonderful conversation. You should try it sometime. Anyway, on to the Blue-Footed Booby...


(This photo is NOT mine. It can be found on Wikipedia.)
My partner, whilst rinsing the shampoo from her short locks, says to me, "Do you know anything about the mating habits of the Blue-Footed Booby?"

I snicker. "Nope, can't say that I follow their mating habits too closely."

"Well," Says she, picking up the bar soap. "It's pretty great. Apparently the guy, I mean the male, Booby and the female Booby stand about 5 feet apart, ignoring each other."

"Sounds hot." I say with a grin.

She shoots a wry glance my way but pretty much ignores my comment. "And then," She continues. "Out of nowhere, the male picks up his foot and lifts it WAY in the air!" I wish I could say that at this point she DID NOT demonstrate this in our small shower but I will not lie- she did. 

"He looks at it and then slyly at the female as if to say 'Hey, look at this pretty blue foot. Wow, it's somethin.' And then he sets it back down, just a little closer to her." My partner sets her foot back down. (Thank GOD!)

"Then the female lifts HER foot high in the air..." I'm glad to report that she did not repeat the prior demo. "...as if to say, 'Well, you think that's nice, look at THIS pretty blue foot!' And then she sets her foot down a little closer."

I look completely amused.

"They just continue to do this, back and forth, mostly ignoring each other and totally into showing off their feet. Until they bump, WOAH, right into each other. And look sort of surprised..." I'm going to guess this is more opinion than fact. "...that the other is right there."

She sets down the soap and bumps me out of the way to rinse off. I am chuckling to myself, aren't you? The conversations we have in the shower... as I said before, you should try it sometime. 

(NOTE: I don't know how much of this is fact. Do your own research before doing a lecture on the mating habits of the Blue-Footed Booby.)


3 comments:

  1. So cool...and you can see what is going on outside .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was a pretty great conversation... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now wait a minute... Are you sure it was your wonderful partner who brought this up in the shower and not you... Cause this is very similar to something you would do.. Hmmm.. Well, you two are birds of a feather tho..

    ReplyDelete